Thank you for your interest in auditioning for BlueStreet Jazz Voices. Please read through the following information carefully.
We are currently looking for all voice parts and auditions are currently by appointment only. If interested in auditioning, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your email your music background, music reading level and the voice part you sing.
Our repertoire ranges from jazz standards to modern jazz to contemporary. We are lucky to have an amazingly talented accompanist for both our rehearsals and performances (Andy). Ken, the musical director is a masterful and meticulous technician. He expects and brings out very high level of musicianship from the group. Folks in the group range in age range from the mid 20’s to mid 50’s. We currently rehearse on Tuesday nights, 7:00 to 9:30 in N. Seattle.
To be considered for BlueStreet, you must fit the following criteria:
- Ability to read music
- Ability to play your part on the piano as well as learn and practice parts at home
- Able to commit to rehearsal schedule which currently consists of weekly Tuesday rehearsals as well as the occasional Saturday rehearsal.
- Possess familiarity with choral music charts
You do not have to be an excellent sight singer but you must be able to read music. We also do not require that you have jazz experience, although it is an advantage. Many of our singers come from the classical music community.
What to Bring
Please prepare a medium tempo jazz standard and bring the sheet music with you to the audition. If the chart is not in your key, you will have the option to sing it in the appropriate key, as Andy can transpose most pieces. You will have the opportunity to rehearse your piece with Andy prior to singing it for the actual audition.
The audition consists of the following:
- A run through of your audition piece privately with Andy so you both are comfortable with the tune.
- Performing the musical piece for Ken and select members of the group.
- Vocalizing with Ken and a quick test to determine your music reading ability. This generally consists of Ken giving you a simple line of music and you picking out the notes (single finger) on the piano. Pretty basic.
- A brief interview to get to know you a bit and establish your interest level and availability.
The audition is designed to be friendly, fun and not intimidating.
Please give me a call at 206-290-5389 if you have additional questions. Please let me know if you would like to audition.
Managing Director, BlueStreet Voices